Monday, March 19, 2007

The Secret

OMG!! I JUST WROTE LIKE THREE PARAGRAPHS OF STUFF AND MY COMPUTER ERASED EVERYTHING! I'M SO MAD - I AM NOW GOING TO TRY AND REWRITE EVERYTHING. THERE IS A VERY GOOD CHANCE IT WILL NOT BE AS GOOD AS THE FIRST TIME. ARGGHHH!

Oprah has had a couple of shows recently on a book/dvd series called "The Secret". All of a sudden it appears as though everybody is talking about it. Now, I don't know a whole lot about it because if my memory serves me correctly Lisa, Jenn and I were having coffee they day it aired on Oprah and it seemed a little sketchy so we stopped watching. However, today on The View they were talking about it and it caught my attention. They summed up the dvd as being about how to visualize what you want in every detail and then you will attain it.

Now, I can buy that if you are working really hard at the same time to achieve this goal, but, they said that it was mainly about material things and it was almost like a magical thing. The example that they used was how a kid envisioned a particular bicycle and concentrated really hard on it and then his grandpa showed up at the door with the bike. Or you visualize your hands wrapped around the steering wheel of your dream car and then *poof*, I guess. This seems like a crock to me. I have spent endless hours thinking of my dream home - it is decorated in my mind and everything and so far - nothing. I think this book/dvd has good ideas in theory but are missing what the purpose to life really is.

HA HA - good segway. So I was reading The Purpose Driven Life right afterwards (my small group would be so pleased as I haven't touched it since Day 14). I have no idea what day we are on so I just kind of picked whereabouts I thought we might be. Day 29 (which after getting Shirly's email today I now know that we are on Day 28). In the very first paragraph it says, "While many best-selling books offer advice on how to "get" the most out of life, that's not the reason God made you. You were created to add to life on earth, not just take from it." HMM - coincidence I happen upon this - I think not.

Then I came upon a passage written by Colleen Townsend Evans which read:
"Jesus promises that satisfaction will come to those who seek the good things of God. He says that they will be filled - not with an easy way of life, not with someting of limited value that can be taken away from them... but with the joy and contentment that come from doing God's will. The filled people are the truly happy people in life"

But, of course, Jesus said it best.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
(Matthew 5:3-10)

Point to Ponder - Am I seeking my house, my furniture, my perfect paint color? Or am I seeking salvation?

7 comments:

Miss Gina said...

Good for you for picking the book back up! That's such a "God thing" that you would open it up to that chapter!

I really haven't heard anything about that book...it's sad how so many people are seeking after answers in life and looking for things and people in the world to fulfill them. So many people are lost and it's frustrating because...we know the answer!

Megan said...

I haven't heard anyting about The Secret. I think I will try my best to avoid it. there are no secrets when it comes to greed and material gain. it's never a good thing.

Leah said...

They also talked about people who thought away their cancer or paralysis. Hmm - I have prayed for such things but it is not in our power to wish these things away.

kristin janzen said...

Hey Leah, I happened to watch Oprah the day she had The Secret show and i didn't get what you got out of it at all. I was very skeptical of the show at first b/c it seemed like hogwash but i found it had some practical principles.

it wasn't "think about it long and hard enough and you will get it". it was about consciously directing your thoughts and your attention on what you want in life. if your thoughts are going there then you will make affirmative decisions, and will eventually lead to you being where you want to be in life and getting what you want. it was about being very conscious of your thoughts and attitudes.

its not that i bought into this new bestselling book/dvd (i haven't even thought about it until now) but it actually does have a valid point. and its really no secret at all that if you put your THOUGHTS in the direction you want to go, you will make DECISIONS that move you forward in the direction you want.

at first i really thought it was gonna be some new age phenomenom. but its actually a good practical life principle. someone gave my dad the DVD to watch recently, and we just might watch it!

ANYWAY, this was great blog. you had some excellent valid points! if "the secret" actually was about getting what you want because you want it so bad, then i wouldve been just as skeptical as you are.

Leah said...

I really want to know what you think of the dvd. I only know what the ladies on The View said about it (and you all know I don't always agree with them). The only clip they showed from the dvd was of some guy telling you to envision your hands wrapped around the steering wheel of your new car.
The paralysis thing I got from "the secret" website.

kristin janzen said...

if we watch it, i'll definitely let you know.

it's really just like anything else, and i'll take it with a grain of salt!

Jenna said...

when i watched the secret it made me mad. i felt like they were taking ideas that people have known for years...much of the same concepts that are in th bible, and changing them to make them non religious, and acting like its all new.