Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Times A Changin'

Ah spring - a time of changes. Diggin' the new look? I figured a springy looking blog was in order. I know spring has always been a time of change for me. I can't make any really big changes in my life anymore without rocking the family boat a little too much so I have turned on my daughter. I died Alanna'a hair purple last night. (pictures to come) I think it looks so great on her. She loves it!

Is it not the greatest feeling in the world to have your windows open and not feel cold or anything. I am in such a good mood right now. Spring really is my favorite time of year. I just get that get up and go feeling (which could be bad because it can mean more trips to the mall out of desperation for something to do).

Okay so this is probably the employee of the police station in me coming out - because it is getting nicer out the crime rate goes up without a doubt. Not too much I can do about it personally (except blog about it, lol). But it stemmed a thought. I remember when I was a kid we didn't have to deal with half of what goes on now a days. I can't imagine how baby boomers feel to see how much times have changed. That being said, times have changed and with that so many more things are permissable now compared to even ten years ago. Kids go to parties assuming that someone there with be carrying a weapon of some sort on them. That was unheard of when I was a kid. But, how much of this starts with the parents. Do you think we allow our kids to get away with alot more than what our parents let us get away with. For example have you seen how much movie ratings have changed in the last couple years. Half of the PG rated movies I would never let Alanna watch. Jonny and I watch virtually everything before we let Alanna watch it. There was a scene in Monster House where the babysitter kicks her boyfriend out of the house with his bottle of beer, screaming at him that he needs to respect women more after the two of them were "giggling" on the couch. And I can't tell you how many "childrens" movies have "adult" humor in them. Is this so the parent can enjoy watching the cartoon with their kids? You watch cartoons with your kid primarily for their enjoyment not yours. That's whey there are kids shows and adult shows. But if sexually suggestive dialogue is making it into the G rated movies I think we need to seriously examine what we as parents are letting into our kids lives. No wonder times have changed so much - how many more teen pregnancies are there now compared to twenty years ago. Maybe if we kept our kids at the old G ratings we wouldn't have X rated teenagers.

That paragraph took a little bit of a different turn then I had originally anticipated but that's okay - I don't remember my original point - but I still agree with what I wrote. Let me know what you parents out there think. I know that some people have said that Jonny and I are extremely strict with our kids but honestly I think that my reasons are reasonably backed up.

10 comments:

Megan said...

Love the new look! First of all, I don't think you should care one bit about what anybody thinks about the way you raise your kids. That's why they're your kids. Second, I totally agree with you. I was reading and thinking "I don't think I let Cassidy get away with anything I coulnd't do as a kid" but then you started on the TV ratings. And ya, I'm guilty sometimes. There are movies I'll let Cassidy watch with me that may have "adult situations" in them. And Friends is one of her favorite TV shows. I just always thought that since she doesn't know what they're talking about it won't have any effect on her. Guess I should start thinking twice about what I let her watch. However, she still loves Peter Pan, so that's promising!

Miss Gina said...

I don't get your new title...you're not forty!

Leah said...

I chose forty year old teenager because I rarely feel like my age. I am either feeling really old or really young. Did anybody else get it, or should I change it?

Leah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah said...

Just a note, last night I watched a PG rated movie. There were like 3 F bombs dropped,

Anonymous said...

i disagree... of course :)

i am a prime example of what bad parenting can do. did it have anything to do with the movies or tv i watched? no. lack of love. abuse etc are much better indicators of those things.

and honestly.. i think when you have a kid super rebellious later on in life because they had no freedom...this will be one of those reasons..

call me devils avocodo only :) just fostering debate cause that is what i do... you are a great mommy

christine

Leah said...

I'm not saying that you are a bad parent if you don't screen what your kids watch. I'm just saying that it is our job to determine inappropriate vs appropriate behavior/language, etc in our children and television is a really good place to start. Hopefully if you are explaining to your children the reasons why they aren't allowed to watch certain things other then they are bad or they aren't for kids then they can make decisions based on your reasonings when they are older. Rebelling (in most cases, not all) comes from not understanding the reasons behind a rule.

Anonymous said...

Well the route i like to take if something unexpected icky pops up, is make a good chance to explain it to her and why i perceive it as wrong. I want her to be able to understand these things when maybe i am not around and she is in the situation herself.

That being said, the nunnery our in prelate is lookin mighty fine right now...

so heres a question: as a small town girl, we did more than our fair share of drinking/drugs/fights/bad decisions.

now trying to raise a child in the city where there is just that much more opportunity around, plus as u stated, kids go to a party and accept that violence will be there...then what?

no parties? allowed only friends i have screened the parents and the kids? life is going to be tres difficult in a few years here :)

christine

Leah said...

Well, hopefully I am instilling great morals and beliefs in her now. That combined with the backbone to stand up for those said morals and beliefs she will make decisions not to follow the main stream and to put herself in better situations with better friends. She is already displaying great decision making in who she is choosing as friends, hopefully that trend sticks as she grows up. Also I think as a parent you definitely need to make a point to get to know your kid's friends and at least have met their parents. I would never let Alanna have a play date at a kids house that I didn't approve of.

As a side note, I think having your child involved in social activities (ie. youth group, childrens church, sports, girl guides, etc) is a great way to have your kid form goals for themselves that may keep them out of trouble.

Anonymous said...

well thats the thing right.. of course at this age we know the parents/kids really well.. and sure they have backbone now.. but how many ppl u know that had great lil kids that turned into rotten teenagers?

you are absolutely right in installing the morals and beliefs now.. but what if thats not enuf? it worries the heck out of me. sammi is a wonderful lil girl with great friends and stands up for what is right on a regular basis... but what if?

no we can't live our lives for the what if's but i sure would like a back up plan :)

guides/scouts and all of those orgs are great.. sammi will be joining a girls only thing at our church in sept. but i know how quickly this can change and hormones can turn things around. (and apparently girls are worse than boys at this one.)

oh and on a really side side note.. her dad is back in her life.. how weird is that after 10 yrs :)

christine